Rachel Cooper is a freelance writer and author with extensive knowledge of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and more than a decade of online journalism and content creation experience. Since 2004 as the Expert on Washington, D.C. for About.com, now TripSavvy.com, Rachel has shared her insight about the nation’s capital and the latest information about attractions, events, jobs, transportation, real estate, children’s activities, sports and much more. She is also the author of two books (with a third in development) and has written numerous articles for regional and national publications including Washingtonian, ApartmentGuide.com, Montgomery Parks, Conde Nast, Grandparents.com, and Washington Parent. Rachel loves to travel and especially enjoys outdoor recreation including hiking, biking, skiing, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding.
As an expert in developing web content, Rachel has in-depth knowledge of HTML, SEO, content management systems, blog creation tools, photo editing and design software, social media platforms, Google Analytics and more. She has researched, written, edited and maintained thousands of articles on the capital region. Some of her favorite feature topics have included the openings of new attractions, such as the Newseum, the Capitol Visitor Center, Nationals Park, the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, Arena Stage, President Lincoln’s Cottage, the National Museum of African American History; and the development of neighborhoods such as National Harbor, the Capitol Riverfront, and the Wharf. She also has extensive knowledge and insight about the region’s cultural events, performing arts, outdoor recreation and getaway destinations. Through her years of experience, Rachel has developed and maintains a strong network of contacts with public relations professionals and travel and tourism representatives.
- TripSavvy: 5 Things You May Not Know About Washington, D.C.
- TripSavvy: Sightseeing Tours in Washington, D.C. (Which One is Best?)
- TripSavvy: 20 Great Small Towns Near Washington, D.C.
- TripSavvy: What to See and Do in Historic Yorktown
- TripSavvy: Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center
- Washingtonian: 12 Offbeat Holiday Activities Around D.C.
- Washingtonian: Why You Should Hike the Billy Goat Trail
- ApartmentGuide: Apartments, Commuting and Traffic in D.C.
- ApartmentGuide: Find Apartments in the Best D.C. School Districts
- Valpalk: How to Do a Day in D.C. for the Price of Lunch